PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tristar L-1011 FMS & Autopilot
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 15:38
tonytech2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in first maintenance training class in fall of 1971, ran Tech Services for EAL for northern region from JFK during the B747 and L-1011 eras, became director of aircraft overhaul and years later was the Chairman of one of the last L011 Maintenance and Engineering conferences held by Lockheed in Greenville while at Tradewinds.
Not going to get into a flaming match over lead wool in the upper aft cabin - it was there on earliest EAL aircraft. Yes, the remainder of the insulation was the pink stuff in bags.
Re the air-cycle, they originally bolted them to the cabin floor beams. Not the best idea ever and when I was riding the proving runs for the first delivery to EAL it was really bad. Rising and falling sirens and right under first class too.
The L-1011 did suffer from Lockheeds predilection for over-sophistication just like the Electra and Constellations. I started at Lockheed New York back in 1954 before going to Eastern in 1964 so know them well. The shutdown of the L-1011 effort during the Rolls bankruptcy did mess things up and they lost continuity. Delta mastered the L-1011 better than EAL but only with a lot of dedicated effort. And there is no doubt that that the later aircraft were vast improvements over the initial efforts.
As stated, flying wise, Lockheed has always excelled according to the flight crews I worked with. Sort of a love-hate relationship with the L-1011.