PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa to challenge ID cards
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2009, 12:52
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given all the shlt thats going down about MP's expenses at the moment, I would have thought that anything that willfurther put them in a bad light (whatever their colour or persuasion) would have been well and truly shelved by now. Not so it seems. We still have the crass stupidity of the proposed ID cards and various 'security' databases not to mention the 'Jobs for failed Traffic Wardens' scheme at our airports where cretins of dubious education or mental ability lord it over law abiding citizens at (so-called) security. Just how far do we have to go before the British finally get off their collective arses and put a stop to this cr@p.
This constant picking away at peoples basic privacy against the excesses of those who would claim to be our elected representatives is something that the British, as a nation, should stand up to - once and for all - and say a resounding NO!!!
I'm not against ID cards per se. As a long term expatriate in various countries around the world I have been required to carry one for many years. However, there is a big difference between a credit card sized piece of plastic that simply gives your name, current address, passport details, a photograph and signature and the invasive, intrusive, big-brother control that is proposed by the 'Expenses Fiddlers' in Britain today.
I renewed my 5 year Thailand drivers licence yesterday. I contains the same basic identification information that I listed earlier. It is regularly used here as an ID card. It cost the equivalent of £9.
Now ask me why I choose to live in Thailand.
Poor Britain!