PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British police helicopter attacked on ground
Old 14th May 2009, 10:09
SECRET SERVICE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skadi

It certainly is very unbelievable......NOT!

I was made aware of the most recent incident shortly after it happened by a source from Surrey Police. Which didn't come as a surprise to me!

If I've got my facts correct - this is the second time the aircraft has been damage intentially by unknown suspect?

A similiar incident took place within the last six to twelve months where the very same ASU was attacked in the early hours of the morning whilst under the blanket of darkness by unknown suspects. This immediately took the ASU of line and out of police operations for a short time.

Apparantly and not confirmed I was also informed, later that same morning there was a serious robbery within the county which was possibly linked to the aircraft being damaged initially, so the aircraft was not avaible to respond, locate and assist with apprehension of the suspects concerned?

Surrey Police really do need to think long and hard in relation to the safety and security of firstly their ASU staff and then secondly the aircraft and the aircraft's current base location.

Fairoaks is a lovely and idillic, established airfield but for the location of an ASU base it's very vulnerable. I admit, both Surrey Police and previously in conjunction with the Met Police (SEASU) there has been an ASU based at Fairoaks for a number of years now, but as stated in the "Telegraph" newspaper, the suspect's jumped over a small wall which is does exist to which any member of the public can go airside at anytime, especially during the night hours.

Secret Service