PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2009, 21:48
rmventuri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leipzig Raid

Hi Icare9. Thanks for helping out. There was identifying information on the ring (something like initials and wedding date). I also thought this would yield more information on the crash site or grave site however it has not. It is not clear how or where the ring was discovered - I'm told that the locals would loot a crash site until the authorities got there and a ring would be scooped up quickly. There is conflicting information on whether it was mailed to her from Germany or the US. Sometime after Arthur's widow identified the ring she sent it to his parents as he was an only child. By the way the widow, Constance, is still alive and when the sqn 51 historians called her to see if she remembered the "twins from Canada" she responded "that would be Doug Milliken, he was the best man at our wedding". Small world. I guess there is a group active in Germany today that still tries to identify crash sites and unmarked graves - the sqn 51 historians have been in contact with them to see if they have uncovered any new information recently. I have a copy of a page from the Snaith Operations Log book showing the entries for HR732 and HR782. The entries are next to one another – oddly it does not have at takeoff time for HR782. It is documented from other sources as 0012. As I am finding out there is a wealth of information on the web however it is such a forensic investigation to weed thru it.

Thanks again,
Rodger