PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 07:42
JoelRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my tip

Hey Guys.

I did FSP last yr.

The advice I had been given going into the 2 weeks was something I read on this forum:

"if you can fly the plane/ you're an ace, you'd have to be bloody brainless not to get recommended"

Whilst FSP is about 'flying the plane' I believe it is very much more focused on your leadership and team abilities. You only have to show potential on the plane - ie you can get airsick, you can really struggle at it in the beginning, but show improvement.

So go into tamworth with TEAMWORK, FRIENDSHIP and LEADERSHIP in your mind. Not, how can I fly this plane the best. Work on forming good relationships with your fsp colleagues and work on the board day. Really prepare for it. Have topics to talk about that show insight and that are well thought out.

Don't worry about the flying - worry about your leadership, teamwork and OSB. It's something you can really only do when you're there, but form friendships, work hard on group assignments, put in extra effort where you can, be someone your group relies on and thinks highly of.

I'm saying this because while I flew well, around the top of my group of 8 (7.something out of 9), my leadership and team skills score were low. High enough to get recommended, but not high enough to be competitive when in the 'recommended pool'.

If you're not selected in the yr you are in the pool, you can re apply, your flying scores remain, and if you get through all the initial testing again, you can re do the OSB board day, that is if you havnt accepted an offer of Air Combat Officer which they will may give you at the end of your yr.

Enjoy FSP if you can. Flying the CT4B and the CAP10 and having military training from military flying instructors, and then flying with serving air force pilots who assess you is an AWESOME experience ! I will never forget it.

Memorable moments; performing a loop and looking 'up' toward the ground and watching another ct4b fly under us. Wing overs into stalls into more wingovers into spins and getting it all right. Flying the cap 10 out to the training area trimmed up and right on the base of some rain clouds and watching the droplets peal over the canopy. Flying straight up till 0 Knots, then falling backwards toward the earth and recovery.