PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reaction to TCAS RA
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2009, 12:05
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightrider

I have had a couple of TCAS RA's as an ATCO, in both instances, only one aircraft called it. One was a nuisance RA caused by high climb rate in the LTMA, the other was a 'real one', caused by an aircraft climbing to a FL on a low QNH pressure setting .

The worrying thing about the second one was it was the other aircraft that called the RA, the 'offending' aircraft did nothing!

In your example, I'd probably be more concerned about the fact that it seems ATC did not answer because they were

a) Too busy i.e. congested RT therefore easy for a short call to get lost
b) Mixing languages on the RT

I would hope that the ASR, when investigated, would show these as being factors, if they indeed were (I can't judge an even I haven't seen a relay of).

What should follow then (certainly would in the UK), is a rebriefing of the ATCO involved to ensure a timely splitting in sectors or reduction in traffic flow, and also hammering home the need to use one common language (maybe getting the Spanish to accept this would be too difficult though).

It sounds to me from your brief description, that the controller would not have had the capacity to deal with an emergency, which is very poor.

The problem with making it a PAN call is that an RA really is a difficult situation for an ATCO. We are not allowed to do anything though every instinct tells us to try to help!

Also, even the mere passing of traffic info to you may not actually be helpfull when you are flying the manoeuvre. Maybe a brief explanation when it's done and dusted but during the action, it is probably less confusing just to give a brief acknowledgemnt of your call