PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pressure on Engineering
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 00:36
foresight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some touchy people out there.

It is not a ‘non story’ but a story that has been going on as long as I can remember. It is a fact of aviation life and is borne of the conflict between safety and commercial interest that affects decisions in aviation every day. If a journalist wants to investigate, then he is simply doing his job. As it happens, like others, I think there will be little to be found and that current regulation and reporting systems work very well. It is neither desirable, nor within our power to keep the media out of technical areas of aviation which it seems some here would like. It may be difficult for a lay person to get a handle on certain aspects such as the tendency for tech logs to be fuller on return to base or complex engineering regulations. However that is an opportunity to educate and explain instead of getting all defensive - which might even make the guy wonder where the bodies are hidden (journalists being necessarily even more cynical than pilots). And if,by chance, there were a body (which I doubt as much as anyone) the egg will be running down some faces here.

If you want the media to look at MP’s expenses, the banking crisis or whatever, then we have no right to clam up when it comes to our patch. Like it or not, there is less deference and less trust in the expert and the professional nowadays. We won’t win it back by slamming the flight deck or engineering office door.