PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pressure on Engineering
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2009, 18:51
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the moment, I am keen to test an allegation put forward to me by a source within the aviation engineering community. He told me that he fears safety is being compromised because engineers are coming under increasing pressure from pilots and management "not to rock the boat" and to turn a blind eye to serious defects.
Well Ian, it certainly fails this "pilots" test! When you say engineers are coming under pressure from "pilots" and management "not to rock the boat," do you mean both Captains and First Officers are making "these executive decisions?" Is it a case of "pilots" are just captains in the exciting world of tabloid journalism?

Engineering (in case your "source" was unaware) have effective dispatch control until the aircraft is presented to the captain for his signature in the aircrafts Technical log. Not the pilot, but the captain. At this point if the captain is unhappy with the status of any aspect of the aircraft he can refuse to accept it. He may (and very often will) accept defects that have been deferred for rectification at a later point in time. This is done in conjunction with the manufacturers/regulators approved list of defects that may be deferred for all or certain types of flight operation.

Your suggestion that captains (or if you prefer "pilots") are placing pressure on engineers to act beyond the approved configuration or approved defects lists, would be downright insulting if it wasn't so risibly ludicrous. Do you think we really, collectively place ourselves and our passsengers in known jeopardy because of some compelling need to dispatch, or for fear of reprisal from our management?

Believe me if there is a "serious defect" that is not allowable or otherwise subject to special provision, it doesn't go. Where I work the engineers would normally come to that conclusion before I or any of my colleagues was required to.

He also revealed that more than 80% of all faults are reported on or after homeward legs rather than after downroute sectors.
There are items that occur downroute that might warrant a maintenance entry in the tech log, such as brake wear indicators getting close to the limit, or tyre wear approaching an unacceptable level etc. However an entry in the tech' log would simply require the captain to transfer it as a deferred entry to another part of the same tech' log and operate back to base. Such items are often entered on the return journey for action on return to base. This would account for 80% of tech log entries (if your source is blessed with an accurate figure,) occuring on the inbound sector. Human nature being what it is, this is more of a paperwork reduction excercise, rather than anything more sinister.

Engineers are professional and in my experience not the shyest of individuals when they have a point to make. Captains are also professionals who occupy a position of trust and authority, coupled with maturity, asssertiveness, and the charge to make sensible (and sometimes unpopular) decisions and judgment calls. I can perhaps understand that some of the contribution to these forums, might lead you to come to an opposite conclusion, but the reality is mercifully very different.

Finally, it is claimed the CAA are not being as robust as they could be owing to the fact that it benefits financially from regulating a growing industry. Parallels were drawn between the way it regulates airlines, and the way the FSA regulated the banks.
The CAA can defend themselves. They are an emination of the state, rather like the Inland Revenue. Similarly I doubt they have many ardent supporters in the public arena. Ask them and see what they say.

Changing the subject somewhat Ian. I am often surprised by the number of otherwise unknown journalists who are afforded extra priviliges and perks by appearing on our cabin crews "special passenger advice" lists. Given their otherwise complete lack of celebrity, I am assuming they telephone in advance to promote their particular presence? I wonder if the reception they receive has influence on the stories they subsequently write? Perhaps that needs investigating? Anyway good luck with your story. Unfortunetaly if it actually bears any resembelance to most "pilots" and engineers actual experience, I doubt it will get to end its days on the floor of many a budgies cage. I suppose we all need to make a living, you might as well do it by impuning our collective reputations.