PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 18:49
Chugalug2

Received 165 Likes on 58 Posts
Chinook HC2 Airworthiness

C240, thank you for your reply. I am glad that you are as happy as ever to fly the Chinook. I share Brian Dixon's gratitude and admiration for what you and your colleagues achieve with that aircraft. If the Huey was the archetypal image of aviation in Vietnam, then surely the Chinook is that for Iraq and Afghanistan?
There would appear to be an enormous improvement in Engine Control reliability these days compared to when the HC2 first entered service. As you rightly say this might not be down to initially faulty software in the DECU that controls the FADEC fuel scheduling, thus determining engine power whether demanded or not. Like Inspector Clouseau I suspect no one yet I suspect everyone, but I have what my old CRM manual called a "High Incidence of Suspicion" about that software. Brian reminds us that in under 20% of the software EDS Scicon found a total of 485 anomalies alone of varying categories. BD wanted a rewrite. CA had only granted a restricted RTS. Is it possible that before a full RTS was granted that rewrite happened, clearing out all the recurring malfunctions and hence the need for the restricted RTS, with the exception of the spurious Eng Fail caption that was removed by Rev1 to that rewrite? Presumably the whole point of BD checking, or having checked, the software is to correct/rewrite faulty code. Once it passes their analysis and is accepted the subsequent revisions would start from there, wouldn't they?