PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2009, 22:29
Chopper69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:

'I would never consider myself a 'Luton' expert, but watching and hoping that Stansted fails, makes me sleep better at night.

Unquote.

'Why?? If you don't have a chip or take it personally?

I fully remember the injustice that was felt by LTN staff on the announcement of STN as London's Third, but as I've said before, there has to be a reality check. The decision was made on the basis of logistics, for example how on earth could you make LTN an inter-continental hub for less cost? which is what London's Third Airport had to be.

There is a definite my Airport is best thread here, but just answer me how much just one parallel taxiway for LTN would cost? you'd have to move a very large part of Hertfordshire just to support it. Luton's location is against it, hence whey the Yanks picked STN, it's flat countryside with no challenging approaches whatsoever and I won't even go down the route of vehiclular access. Whatever personal feelings, STN and LTN are not comparable Airports, they are good at what they do, but LTN never has been, or can be without unrealistic investment, an international hub, at the end of the day, it was built in the wrong place.