PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2009, 12:53
S/H 737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overpayment

It is true that long haul flight attendants are in todays terms overpaid and sre enjoying conditions thsat belong in the last century, It will only be evifdent to them if and when they leave Qantas and work in the real world. This is not to blame them and it is always hard totake away what seems normal for them. But realistically Qantas needs to lower its cost base and Original Long Haul Crew are hugely expensive when people of all ages and experience who have been made redundant in other areas would gladly do their job f0or half the amount of money. Many Long Haul CSMs bost of earning $120,000 per year, stay in 5 star hotels, are provided free dry cleaning transport to and from work, fantastic conditions staff travel sick leave annual leave
If the general public had any idea how well renumerated these people were they would be more than happy to work for half of this.
My point is the labour costs of this group is out of touch with similar roles in the workforce.
I also believe the middle managers are the ones who really need to be made redundant.
If you calculate the hours that most of these managers actually do any work, rather than having cakes, meetings wasting time on the internet ect ect and zI am sure this is endemic in all large organisations.
I have a lot of respect for flight attendsants and all n that they do however they m ust realise that they are indeed priveliged to be earning what they do and they are out of touch with the real world.
If Qantas was serious it would play hard ball and bring the wage level of flight attendants in line with similar roles on the ground.
If you were to slash flight attendant wages by 50%, they still would be on a good wicket, I wonder how many would leave.
I respect their role and what a flight attendant does, jet lag etc etc etc however they must face reality and seriously have some dialogue with Qantas to bring their wages in to a more realistic and cost efficient manner