PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 04:33
barryhoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob McDonald, (R.I.P.).

I have just received sad news advising the passing of longtime PNG family member, Bob McDonald, (R.I.P.). I met Bob here at Coolum during the mid/late '90's, and got to know him quite well until he moved away a couple of years back. I mention Bob here because of a PNG aviation link. Bob's father P.J. McDonald, and later Bob, had Ilolo Plantation, (McDonald's Corner), just outside POM, on the southern end of the Kokoda Trail. The aviation link, (as you may well know), is P.J.McDonald, who financed Ray Parer into Morlae (Moresby/Lae) Airlines in 1928, which operated the first scheduled service between those two centres, as well as servicing the Wau/Bululo goldfields. Bob McDonald was responsible for the welded "digger" monument which stands at Ilolo to this day last I heard. He was also involved in another Kokoda Trail monument which stands at Sherwood RSL, and Bob describes that below in his own words:

"It's been a long time but I have at last found where the rock from Ilolo Plantation ended up - the Sherwood RSL.
Back in the early 70's I was approached by Ted Hanson, a keen supporter of the RSL, with a request to find a rock from the Kokoda Trail/Track to send south to some RSL Club. Ted was involved in transport and shipping and would be able to on-carriage it from Port Moresby.
I thought the volcanic conglomerate formation that bordered each side of the Rouna Gorge would be suitable for it is quite distinctive with its peppering of smooth pebbles fused together with lava magma (may not be technically the word) but descriptive enough. If you cut it in half you'd find the small rocks continue all the way through. This rock formation is quite rare. The escarpments of it carry on around Hom Brom Bluff to the back of Ilolo Plantation (McDonald's Corner).
I was easy enough to choose a typical rock from the foot of the Track/Trail but another matter to find one of suitable size. It is very heavy and hard as hell and usually comes in escarpment sizes.
But I did, right out the back of Ilolo and it was just sitting there on top of the dirt. So with a team of natives we built a ramp of small rocks up to the back of the Land Cruiser tray and with much grunt and yelling managed to roll it on board which caused the front of the vehicle lift of the ground.
With a dozen boys clinging to the front to get it back on the ground we slowly made our way five kilometres back to the homestead.
We then lifted it with a chain hoist - luckily the roof didn't cave in - onto a pallet on the back of a larger truck.
Delivered this to Ted in Moresby and until yesterday didn't know where it went.
Be aware when you move it to your new site that it is VERY heavy."