PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handley Page Hermes IV
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2009, 10:28
Narmitaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airwork Hermes

Hallo Mr Stenner. I happened on this forum while looking into Airwork Hermes. My father also flew for Airwork, as a first officer, from 1953 to 1956. He flew with your father at least couple of times that I can see from his log book - as a pilot from Blackbushe to Fayid via Malta and back June 24-June 26 1954 and as a passenger from Allahabad to Singapore Aug 31-Sep 1 1954.

Other captains who show up often are Muggeridge, Zeiher, Winsland, and even one called Hermes.

After Airwork my father flew for Kuwait Airways from 1956 to retirement in 1974, flying a Hermes at one point, and also DC-3s, Viscount, Comet, Trident (briefly) and finally Boeing 707 from 1968 on (see some of my pics in the Beirut 1960s photo gallery - we lived in Lebanon - on my site nawaller dot com). Prior to Airwork he had been in the RAF, mainly as a flying instructor in Canada and then in the last few months of the war as captain on Liberators for Coastal Command squadron 547.

He was born in Street in Somerset, lived in retirement in Cheddar and Wedmore, and he died not next to Weston in the hospice at Uphill in 2004.