PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - Working on the A380
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 02:32
puff

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
As a matter of interest had a good chat to some of the SQ FAs on a A380 trip to LHR lastyear. At SQ all the crew that fly on the A380 and the A340-500 trips are 'selected' to do it and have no choice in bidding. Once they get put on either thats all they do. They were enjoying the A380 but were not loving the work - back then it was only SYD,NRT and LHR. I thought the service was excellent but in the galley the FA said that they were all still feeling their way with the service etc - they were all very happy when I pointed out from a pax point of view you certainly couldn't tell.

I was explaining to her how QF worked with different wages/bases etc and most of them were not aware of it and were quite suprised. SQ is all SIN based, all on same wages - and contrary to some rumours did not share hotel rooms. They are on about $45k SIN bucks - not huge but certainly not 'slave' wages that some seem to think they are on, especially these days getting to be fairly similar to QCCA etc. Sure they burn through them and they are mostly all young - but tell me thats not the intention of australian carriers now with the wages and conditions on offer here too ! Difference seems to be that whilst they are there they have the meet the high standard or they are gone.

One thing that SQ beats QF on is 'consistancy' to FA conduct, whilst you can get a fantastic flight on QF you can get some crap ones as well - yet to have anything on SQ that wasn't short of excellent. The FAs aren't gushy or all over you, but deliver the services quickly effeciently and with no fuss.