PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Careers In The Balance
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2009, 20:29
Old China Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Careers In The Balance

Gentlemen,

I have refrained from commenting for quite some time now. Unfortunately, the current events compel me to offer my thoughts and suggestions to my friends and colleagues.

We are confronted with possibly the gravest threat to the value and security of our careers since the communist riots in HK during the 1960's. The difference is that this time our adversary is totally lacking in morals, unlike the communists who at least had some idealism about them.

What you see developing are the fruits of a concerted program that was designed and implemented in the early 90's. The Swire 'machine' determined that going forward, their employees would be reduced to well below industry standards, and that it would be done in both a subtle and sometimes ruthless manner. The result has been a steady and deadly erosion of our career potential, and the 'management' of our expectations to the point that we are seemingly willing to put up with just about anything they impose on us. You must all ask yourself the question: What indignity is finally a step too far, and what will I do about it, both collectively and individually? The time is now at hand where everyone of us will make a decision that will determine the true nature and value of our careers for many decades to come.

Firstly, be of no doubt that CX has is determined to force through some drastic changes at the moment of greatest advantage to them. The economic situation has developed to provide the 'appearance' of grave peril to the airline, and this is an opportunity that our managers cannot resist. I say 'appearance' of peril, because in fact the situation is much better than they choose to portray.

The airline is in fact in very robust condition. We have many many billions of cash, liquid assets and credit lines available. We could fly every flight, every day empty for over a year before we had anything close to a cash crunch. We also have billions in mortgagable assets that could be converted into enough cash to see us well into the next decade. The airline is patently NOT anywhere near to 'going out of business'. Our managers work on a simply theory: Any concessions now will be returned slowly over the next 10 year period. This ensures that they constantly reduce their realised cost basis on an inflation adjusted basis for years to come. To put it in context, the 2500 pilots now cost them in real terms what 1400 pilots cost them back in the mid 90's. Read what I just said again carefully. Each one of us costs them about half what we did 15 years ago.

In addition, in the many profitable years we have all worked very had to produce, CX management have given most of the gain to themselves. The employees came a very distant 2nd or 3rd. If they had renumerated us properly (using a fair and equitable profit sharing scheme) during those years, there would be a reasonable moral acceptance of helping during the down year(s). However, as they chose to cheat us for so long, any talk of concessions now is beyond galling, and verges on the obscene.

I will have more (much more) to say in coming days. In the meantime, be of no doubt that you should steel yourselves for the greatest fight of your careers. It's outcome will determine whether your career is of value or not. It will determine your very character. I suggest you all start forming small, dependant groups of 4 or 5 friends who will educate each other and hold each other responsible for the well being of the others in the group. Now is the time to find resolve, character, courage and determination.

The reality is that CX cannot function without the pilots. They cannot victimise a single individual if they know that the rest remain united against both the day to day events, and the individual events designed to intimidate. The AOA needs to lay down a marker to the company, inform the membership as to the stance it is taking, and then have the members fully support the plan going forward.

CX will be well prepared in the coming weeks...and we must be also. Now is the time to stand up for yourselves and your profession.

OCD.

Last edited by Old China Driver; 5th Apr 2009 at 20:50.