PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier dispute between Navy and RAF chiefs sees Army 'marriage counsellor' called in
Old 31st Mar 2009, 06:25
Pheasant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OA,

Sadly I think you have missed the point on all counts. The simple fact is that this Government has decided that Carriers are the way forward for expeditionary Ops, as are the Amphibious Forces - this is why they were the central pillars of SDR. if this is the case then it is beholden on the Chiefs of Staff to ensure that the capability is delivered. In the case of CVF/JSF it is in ensuring there is a credible embarked aviation component capable of operating from the sea. If that means tough choices in other arms (in this case the GR4 force or Typhoon) then so be it. Your CAS/ACAS appears to have said "I don't care what SDR (ie the Government) says I am going to remove a pillar of Defence Policy because I want to". Well I am sorry CAS, but you can't.

There was mention above of the RN going to the US to train its FJ aircrew. Ifthis is the case then I feel sorry for the RAF as it is a direct indication that the flying training system they are in control of has failed. Under current policy there is a requirement to train RN aircrew.....so do it. If they are all trained in the US then the chances are that the RN pilots will be flying JSF first - for US units. they will also be operating JSF from the sea first. Where does this leave the RAF? I would suggest with a flying training system that may not be required as the RN will have proved that it can be done just as effectively by a third party country (as, interestingly lots of other nations have discovered).

Is this what we want? I say no. Let those serving in the RAF wake up and put things right and stop being so parochial about protecting "The Few" - there were plenty of other "Fews" in WW2, not least the brave Swordfish pilots at Taranto and in the Atlantic" - unfortunately Winston didn't make up such good words about them!