PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2009, 03:49
muduckace
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more handling differences in the MD11 vs MD10 than you would find with the 727-200 vs 727-100 or the DC8-55 vs DC8-63.
The DC-10/ MD-10 are the the same airframe with the same flight control surfaces, the same empty/gross weight stats., the exact same aerodynamic properties.

The MD-11 is dramaticaly different. Don't get me wrong I love the MD-11 but it is a completely different machine. The MD-10 has the same engines as the DC-10's (not FADEC), The same flight control surfaces and empty weight more or less.

The MD-11 was designed for efficiency at altitude, more efficient thrust less drag (small tail being the largest change for efficiency).

This is the MAJOR question posed to it's safety values. I still maintain that it is just as safe as the DC-10 given the driver respects and understands it's limitations.

I have been intimate with both airframes for more than 11 years.

You can not compare the DC-8-50 and -60 series as a relevant comparason, the technology and aggresive improvements do not compare at all. All DC-8's land like pancakes, heavy structure, airframe weight and aerodymic cleanliness was not a significant factor only size to increase revenue.... It is the only thing that the MD-11 shares with the DC-8/super-8 and the MD-11. Same goes for the 727.

Bottom line, the MD-11 has different flight chararistics than the MD/DC-10. Less Drag, more thrust and a smaller margine for error especially at slow speeds. When she is lite she is also much more difficult to slow down in decent but she climbs with much respect.