PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 29th Mar 2009, 03:20
Variable Load

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
SASless,

I hope you don't mind if I stick to the factual side of your excellent post?

If the APU was running per the checklist....would the CVR and Data Recorder continue to operate normally in the event of a loss of AC Generators?
Yes, if the APU was running and the AC's fail, then the APU is capable of supplying power to all but a few high current draw items (RIPS, windshield heat, AVC)

Would the AC Generators fail due to overheating as a result of loss of oil?
Yes, 212man's emergency landing demonstrated this. Although his event wasn't oil loss, it did result in AC gen failure due to overheating.

Would the AC Generators fail due to a low Rotor RPM situation such that the system would sense an under frequency or under voltage situation?
Under frequency protection is only enabled when the aircraft is on the ground. I do not know how slow the generator would have to turn in order to trip the under-voltage protection - certainly less than 90% Nr, probably a lot slower?

Would the APU continue the AC system despite the loss of the AC Generators?
Yes, see my earlier answer re CVR/FDR

Of course, my answers assume the systems and redundancies worked as advertised

There is one factor that I do not think has been discussed so far and that is the MGB Oil Temp indications. Once the MGB has lost all of it's oil the Oil Temp indications might not show what the crew would expect i.e. mindset might have been Low Oil Px usually results in High Oil Temp? Being faced with No Oil Px and Low (ish) Oil Temp might have led to some confusion. OK, now I'm speculating

VL

Last edited by Variable Load; 29th Mar 2009 at 03:34.