PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 27th Mar 2009, 14:38
Alloa Akbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUTWEST / SULTAN

I understand that the gearbox has been a topic of discussion for some time, but surely you would agree that anyone who thinks aircraft are built on limitless budgets has their head seriously in the clouds.

People like you and me do their jobs, the best they can with the resource available. I'm not defending SAC as a corporation, rather the guys who do those jobs which dictate things like material and parts selection. I'm sure if they had budgets as big as Oil company profits, then they could build something resembling your idea of a great aircraft.

In this case, Men designed an aircraft according to a budget within Sikorsky. SAC are a business like any other whose sole purpose is to make money and keep people in jobs. To achieve this SAC have to base their budget on the limits imposed by the customer, and the competition. They must also adhere to the regulations imposed by EASA / FAA.

when you design, build and sell and aircraft which meets all of the above, and everyone from the manufacturer to the end user is happy, and then something like this happens, who is to blame??? You say that there were many missed opportunities for SAC to avoid this accident, so why are people buying it? is it their fault? is someone guilty of sending men offshore repeatedly in an aircraft not fit for purpose?

would you buy an automobile with a known problem in the transmission? would you take your family on a drive across the desert in it??

The list of blame / questions goes on and on. My initial point being, can you realistically blame one person / organisation or would you agree, like most accidents, there were a number of contributary factors?

I appreciate emotions run high here, and if I sound like I don't care about the families involved, then be assured that is not the case.