PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2009, 21:05
singpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Steve Michell's post....

Has anyone thought of an LSAS failure? The wind was strong enough to preclude an autoland so the LSAS should've kicked in as soon as the autoflight was disconnected. What if it didn't work as expected.
How about the following. How aware is any pilot of the longitudinal attitude of an airplane in the flare? A gust after a bounce could've sent the wings flying again without the pilots being aware of the aircrafts' negative pitch attitude developing, the flight deck still at an altitude above the runway that would've been expected.
Just a thought.
SM
Steve;

I too, have remained detached from the rampant far-afield speculation in the previous 12 pages until now.

Excellent post, especially the last bit. Longitudinal attitude. As you know, sitting that far forward and up high, you may not be aware (in a hands-full scenario such as this) what the back end is doing (longitudinally speaking).

You'd be aware of the bounce, but not how high.... I believe is what you are saying.

I can remember the first landing from up there, being amazed that the mains were touching down when I was still up here. That feeling.

Last edited by singpilot; 24th Mar 2009 at 21:56.