PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The VC 10
Thread: The VC 10
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2009, 14:36
old,not bold

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Creeping further away from the thread, since you mention it, I had a passing acquaintance with the administration of BOAC/BA crew accommodation in the Gulf, AUH even, at that time........

IIRC, there was an absolute requirement that the accommodation for the Flight Deck had to be in a more expensive hotel than the Cabin Staff, and The Captain had to have a better room (usually a suite) than the FO and FE. I wouldn't be surprised in the FO needed a better room than the FE, but I do not remember that being the case.

So we put the Flight Deck into a very, very expensive but dreadful hotel, and the Cabin into a slightly less expensive but infinitely better one. There's a revolutionary in all of us.

That stopped eventually, and the whole crew was allowed to use the same hotel. The price was higher than that paid by anyone else, to cover the cost of items stolen from the rooms. They never remonstrated; they just kept a list of who stole what and charged an averaged add-on to pay for it. This list was always produced when contract renewal time came round. The company was happy to pay the additional cost, to avoid trouble.

Only certain people did this; but the inventory against some of the names, over a 2 - 3 years period, was impressive. Quite a few houses in the Camberley region must have benefited.

I recall that the items included a 5 ft high mirror (carefully unscrewed from the wall by a Captain who took the screws as well), a complete ceiling fan, a coffee table, hair-dryers, lots of table lamps, towels, bedding, pillows, crockery and so on.