PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation versus "Mandraulics"
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 12:07
swampqueen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where I feel safer

I have the benefit of flying a highly automated type (S92) and a steam driven type (AS332L), and feel able to compare the experience. They both require great dicipline to operate properly. The 92 needs more forward planning to decide what you wish to achieve and how best to make it happen, and, most importantly what is the back up plan if it does something unexpected.
The As332 requires the same forward plan but the execution method is a foregone conclusion.
Out of the two give me the S92 every time. The spare capacity it gives is invaluable provided the planning has been done.

We are in a new time where the skills required are changing,these must be accepted and trained for.
The big problem requiring the most work is the night offshore approach. This is an area which exposes us and our passengers to a level of risk which is greatly elevated from daytime operations, which in a risk averse bussiness is bizarre.
We have all had the situation where the wind and sea state have been too bad to operate during daylight, but, as it calms slightly after dark it is acceptable. Give me the risk in daylight anytime.

The night offshore approach when handled in the form of an ARA lends itself to the coupled approach and by inference the coupled aircraft lends itself to the ARA. Our fixed wing brothers don't do VFR.
This is for a good reason and if it were suggested that they carry out an approach with no guidance, no lead in lights, no VASI or PAPI to a series of lights that were correct when the pilot guessed that it looked rugby ball shaped, the CAA would have kittens and the pilots would refuse.
We have the automated aircraft lets get on with having the automate approaches to go with them.

The superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring his superior skill.