PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 02:01
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rayban, while I agree with you with regard to the differences in pay between expat and national employees in Nigeria, I don't necessarily agree with people complaining about being paid in Canadian $.

As someone from below the equator, I have worked a good many years stuck with whatever home currrency my US$/Euro salary got me. Sometimes it was good, sometimes not so good. People tend to forget the good times and only focus on when they perceive themselves to be "losing" money.

Personally, I look at the big picture. Medical/dental/benefits as well as pay. For pilots perhaps Bristows is a better deal at the moment, but for us engineers, CHC is far better. Pay wise and treatment wise. So I'll happily stay with the company I am with just now (CHC). I enjoyed my time in Nigeria, but I thrive on new challenges. In other words, I move around a lot.

CHC do need to either get out of Nigeria, or improve things there. The accommodation and food need to be worked on. The internet is patchy, but at least it is there. Unfortunately, while Aero call the shots, CHC's hands are pretty much tied. Take it how it is. Move on if you can't handle it, make the most out of it if you can.

No wahalla