PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 14:04
J LeDeels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Eket Attacked Last Night

Eket was again attacked last night as boats carrying a large number of militants attacked the Exxon Mobil compound for more than 1 hour using rifles, machine guns and RPGs. Several attempts were made to enter the camp from the river but lucky for us nobody of ours was hurt. The JTF haven't found any bodies in the river, so I guess none of the bad guys was hurt either .

So much for improved security from XOM. I'm sure our own brave company security advisor will find urgent business in Calabar or PH same as last time. Meanwhile our gallant operations managers who are too valuable to be spared for a night away with the boys will find endless excuses as to why everything here should be business as usual. They may even come down for a couple hours in a helicopter specially laid on for them. It's not as if they have to expose themselves to this $hit is it? . They have all the moral fibre and backbone of a member of the Nudibranchia family of soft-bodied, shell-less molluscs. They'll collude with the clients to get us working normally as soon as possible and probably extend our working hours so we're more in harm's way than usual. After all, Lagos, where theyre based is really dangerous too right? A bus actually got shot at 10 years ago .

On the operations where staff actually have to drive to work, out in the Niger Delta (they're talking about our great new 'safe' transport coming here, and guys have to drive a long way every day in Port Harcourt and a short way in Warri), where MEND have already declared that a new terror campaign is starting, there should be an increase in journey security and a complete ban on all road journey's by night, even if it means declaring force majuere to clients. There can be no moral justification for putting people's lives on the line in the present situation - but when you have managers to who moral fibre is something you get from eating Weetabix, who knows what will happen? Notice, I haven't even mentioned money