PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th Feb 2009, 09:09
Nice flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maxrpm

Am not sure I understand your thoughts about the wing inspection light. I think most of us, when flying an aircraft where it is possible to see the leading edge in detail from the cockpit, would very much like to do so. I do not see how you can describe keeping an eye on the wing in icing conditions to be a 'bad habit'?!

To think that because you have your ice protection systems operating you have nothing to worry about seems a rather dangerous attitude to me. Whilst the modern systems are very capable and well designed they are not infallible, and there are conditions out there which they will not cope with. The leading edge can be a very good early indicator of this and when you need to get the hell out of there.

As with most things, there is a time to be doing (or not doing) it though, and as you touch upon, at least one pilot should be monitoring the aircraft flight path at all times.

In many thousand hours on DH8 100,300 and 400 I was never ever concerned about icing
?