PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 20:38
99jolegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a PPL when I did my phase 4.

We climbed away from Hurn (training Captain did the takeoff) and I had control by 1000ft. He asked that I maintained the current rate of climb whilst he managed the thrust and that I level off at 8000ft. Tap the trim gently, don't let the huge whizz clunk sound alarm you, it's very dramatic for what it does.

Once we were level at 8000ft, he asked that I fly a few different headings whilst maintaining altitude, with 30 degrees of bank. After that, we did some steep turns for 180 degrees at 45 or 60 degrees of bank, can't remember which. Here is where it is really testing, you'll need a load of backpressure to stop the nose dropping but again he's just looking for accuracy and improvement.

He asked a few simple questions about the flight etc whilst doing this.

Lastly, he gave some descending turn instructions....maintain 1000ft whilst doing a standard rate turn to the left and roll out on xyz degrees. We levelled off at around 2000ft and he gave a vector for final. After that, I flew the ILS with a few instructions from him. He handled thrust the entire way through. I landed and he took control to stop it.

I think this is the norm for the sim assessment but it changes from instructor to instructor. Some ask difficult questions, some don't end up landing etc etc.