PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2009, 16:47
bjkeates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think that with a A320 type rating and 400 hours on type you are suddenly marketable to any airline, just ask the guys who were let go by easyJet and Monarch this summer.
As I've said before on this thread, you're not. Most airlines don't even bother to reply, and the few that do give you a short polite "no". In the current climate, unless you're one of the tiny minority who is extremely fortunate, 400 hours on type will get you nowhere.

Yes, you will be paid £1,000 a month for your work, which, after bills, rent etc doesn't leave you with much.
It's important to draw a distinction between the 6 months' line experience as part of the cadet course, and a FlexiCrew contract. Cadets on the 6 months' experience earn £1k a month, true. Remember, this is an 'allowance' rather than a salary, as it is part of the course, and is therefore not taxable. There are too few details about the FlexiCrew setup at the moment, but I would hazard an educated guess that if it is to work effectively as a contracting agency supplying seasonal pilots, then the terms will be completely different, particularly as you would now be in work rather than in training, and any remuneration would be taxable. I'd be deeply shocked if the offer on the table for those people out of their 6 months line training and on to a FlexiCrew contract was the same £1k/month. It will be interesting to see how this "modified CTC scheme" of which they talk, will pan out. I understand discussions are still ongoing, but as I no longer have access to the EZY BALPA boards or receive certain internal communications, I don't know what the position is.

The "customer or not" debate rears its head from time to time, not least among cadets actually on the course. I'm sure the way the flow of money between various is set up is such that the company can call the various parties what they like, but I personally hate the "you are not the customer" line which is often spun. Like various people have said, if I've handed over 60 grand for my training, I don't care who it's to - I have paid for something and therefore I am a customer.

Last edited by bjkeates; 7th Feb 2009 at 16:53. Reason: Decided to remove last bit