PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 5th Feb 2009, 09:29
Subhuman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to keep everyone up to speed with the process:

I personally didn't get any technical questions on the phone.

Got interview date at EMA (stay at the Holiday Inn, half the price of Thistle and an extra 1min drive), you rock up at 9 for 9:30 start. Group brief, just explaining what will happen during the day, and an overview of the 737-800, they also ask what you did your MCC in (it seems as if they tailor your sim assessment to your jet experience, the Oxford guys with 40 hours had a lot more than the guys who did an MCC in an FNPTII). You then get given some plates, in my case the NDB/DME RWY 27 at EMA and the TNT 1T SID. Your paired up and given a short amount of time to brief to one another.

You then go off and do your interview and sim, not nessesaraily in that order. Sim for me, involved a takeoff, using the flight directors and auto throttle, to 1500agl, A/T cancelled and 90% N1 set, then accellerating to 220 knots at 3000agl and flaps on schedule, once we were level on the SID, the flight directors were removed, and we did some 30 and 45 AoB turns, accelerating to 320 knots and then in our case, we turned and did some tracking towards the ndb, with some spatial awareness "what heading to intercept XXX" type questions. descended down to a height to start the procedure, then given an engine fire, just as your MCC taught you. They also like to see NITS briefs and PM will fly while PF will go through it with the assessor. This is only done once, the second run the emergency is omitted. You then do a normal NDB in nil wind, cloud level at 1000', and land.

Interview was informal - one HR guy (who anyone with the interview will have spoken to previously) and your sim assesor. Questions that I had that I can remember:

Personal:
How did you get to this point? (training etc)
What do you know about Ryanair?
Why do you want to work for us?
Do you think you could contribute to Ryanair's sucess and why?

Tech questions:
What do you know about the 737-800?
Could you explain how the Jet engines work in layman terms?
Why are they high bypass?
Whats propulsive effciency? (garden path as you can see )
What is radiation fog?
What is advection fog?
A SigWx chart was pushed in front of me, he wanted to know what the number in the boxes was, how the areas of sig wx were designated, what XXX meant on cloudbase, naming a few fronts and weather associated, and jetstream position and speed.

Other questions on the day I got told about:
What is V2?
(in regard to a Seminole) What sort of engines does it have?
(Seminole again) Why does it stall at the root first?
VOR and NDB ranges?
What Navaids do you have in the middle of the atlantic?
Moment arms on T tail aircraft ( if you flew a tomahawk they asked this)

The interview isn't as bad as I thought, I went last though so by half 4 you've had adrenaline buzzing round for a good 6 hours so I was probably more chilled than I was in the morning.

Well, I didn't get the job - however I did do a bit of time with virtual aviation before as it has been a while since I had done any IF and I have to say - the guy was spot on with what to expect and the simulator is pound for pound what you get in the real thing.

Did it help? Well I didn't get the job - but I like to think it did! Thats the nature of the beast...

Feel free to PM me for any other Q's or if you'd like to give me a job .