PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Gulfstream II and IIB so cheap?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 00:21
hawkerjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apples and oranges, you can't compare the GII/III to a Challenger. Many marketers and brokers try and some rather successfully but they are 2 distinctly different airplanes. Gulfstream GII's were built in the early 1960's and the first Challenger 600 came about in 1980. So there's quite a bit of difference in age between the two aircraft. The GII also weighs in at 31,000 Kgs vs the 19,500Kgs for the 600.
But getting back to your question, the reason is simple, supply and demand. The newer aircraft operate more efficiently and more importantly have easier access to spares. These old aircraft are having a harder and harder time being supported by the manufacturer. Supply and demand also plays a strategic role in the cost of the aircraft. Many people want more efficient aircraft ( fuel, maintenance, and flexibility to operate wherever: noise). I remember about a decade or so ago the GII was around 1.5-2 million USD. A year later they shot back up again in price. ( My company bought 3 straight wings for a million a piece and had the winglets installed) I know a couple of people that use their GII's and GIIB's and enjoy it. They fly around 200 hours a year and have a full maintenance staff to keep the aircraft running and parts available when needed. the noise issue can be mitigated with a good flight planner unless you operate frequently into airports that ban the Stage II. The US will allow your hush kitted GII/III to operate as a stage 3 but you still have airport curfew and noise considerations. Europe is more difficult. Doable but difficult.