PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2009, 05:36
Juzz51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew with a Purser who has been here for a long long time, and he put it perfectly. Back in the day they treated the crew really well, pay was good, allowance was good, everything was good, and word spread that Emirates was the airline to work for. Today, Emirates still has that good name to an extent, but the difference is they treat us like crap. We are literally just a number to them, and we are slowly becoming low paid laborers. We continue to earn less every year.

The sad thing is there is nothing we can do about it. With no unions, and the fact that if you speak out you'll get fired (someone got fired for speaking out on their blog and got caught), we have little recourse but to quit and find a better job. The worst thing is that Emirates know they can get away with this, because there's just so many people out there in the world wanting to become Cabin Crew, who will ignore all the warnings out there about this company, they just know it can't be THAT bad. Eventually Emirates will lose their good name as the company to work for in the airline industry, but there will still be people out there willing to work for them. We can only hope there won't be enough to meet their demands and they'll try to make things better for us.

Now on to the rumors! Just some things I've heard, some are pretty much confirmed, others are rumors that are probably completely untrue, you decide:
  • With NGO down to 3 times a week, it will be completed ended by March. I've been told this is mainly because with Toyota stuggling through the economic crisis they are no longer filling our premium cabins and/or cargo for this route to continue being profitable
  • With NGO gone, I heard they will be opening up NRT
  • Emirates plans on selling or leasing out most of the A380s they have on order due to problems with the a/c and/or it can't live up to the promises Airbus made about how far it can travel/fuel consumption, etc
  • Emirates plans on canceling all but 10 of the a380s they have on order for same reasons as above
  • Due to the financial crisis Emirates will soon be canceling a lot more routes that will put us under 100 destinations world wide
  • As most of you will know, reserve months for GR1s & GR2s, not a lot of people are getting called out, we simply have too many staff. One hot rumor going around is that we will be offered 2 weeks of unpaid leave. The fact that they just opened more leave slots for the month of March only adds more fuel to the rumor. I know I'll be applying for it if it happens!!
Thats all I have for now. One rumor that did come true, no more CHC!!