PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 19:58
99jolegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You won't get any specific detail because there isn't a specific way the trainer will conduct the flight...

I've heard all sorts of maths questions from addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with a few percentages etc thrown in. Nothing that difficult but challenging all the same.

However, when I did mine, I didn't get one maths question at all....no idea why. Maybe it was because I was asking general questions as we were going so he was satisfied that I had some capacity other than the task in hand, but that's just a guess.

The main theme that I felt I was being tested on was improvement. When we started a steep turn at 8000ft (we were in the dark so couldn't see the ground) it went belly up...i.e. nose up and down, not keeping an attitude, over-trimming, an erratic scan and over compensation on the controls. I did it again and the scan was better...I found a good attitude just above the horizon to keep the nose at and was acutely aware that a few seconds later the back pressure would need to be upped considerably to stop the nose dropping horrifically as it did the first time.

Stay alert and keep the scan going. When you see something going array, correct it slowly whilst carrying on the scan.

Your scan will break down. Trick is to limit the damage it does. As the training Captain said in our briefing..."If I had a pint for every time your scan will break down, I'd crawl out of here on all fours..."

It will also be tailored to your experience.