PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Gulfstream II and IIB so cheap?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 13:42
JGSFLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all the input..

Thanks so much to everyone for all the input.

I think I am getting a better idea now.

The main reason I was asking was answered in the last post I believe...

I live in South Florida where a lot of people are very very pretentious. I had the feeling that if you just change minor things and the name of something that automatically makes it more valuable for people that want to brag about things. Can you really go over $20 million higher going from a G IV to a G 550? Aside from range and a few features where exactly are the 20 million dollars? With 20 million dollars you can setup a bunch of houses, get a car collection, a decent yacht and set aside money to spend in whatever you want so where are the 20 million?

I am in the process of setting up residences in 3 different countries now that I have the freedom to live wherever I want (no longer tied to a business or so). I want to invite 8 to 10 people to spend seasons in those places and I want to figure out the most cost effective way to commute from one place to the other, the places are Mexico (3 cities there), the French Riviera, Fort Lauderdale in Florida and occasionaly the Bahamas. From france I would coccasionally hop to all sorts of destinations within the range of the plane for wuick two-three day trips.

Initially I thought of chartering a plane every time but $4500 to $5500 per hour seemed to be a lot and with less freedom assuming one of the pilots works for me full time and I am the co-pilot.

Fortunatelly money now comes easy and I think I could afford pretty much any plane but unlike many people I surround myself with I believe it makes no sense to "invest" (talk about an investment eh! more like dumping money) in something that goes down in price yearly, that costs a fortune to maintain and is used mainly to brag. And in my experience the higher you go in the price tag the higher it is to maintain in the end and the more money you lose (especially with fancy boats an yachts and airplanes). Maybe the operational cost would be lower but what about the money lost yearly in resale value? (if you but something new)

To me a GII sounded too cheap to be true but somehow if I did research could be doable, especially that IISP so I guess I can re-configure the question.

I was figuring if I do some 40,000 to 60,000 nautical miles per year needing to transport about 10 people (I guess that comes to about 150 hours per year or so) breaking it down in about 2 trips per month, is there anything I could do that would be more cost effective than for instance that GII SP assuming it is all ok and I spend per say $3000 per hour in operation costs.

The trips are:

Fort Lauderdale - Cancun (about 473 nautical miles)
Fort Lauderdale - Guadalajara (about 1315 nautical miles)
Cancun - Guadalajara (about 925 nautical miles)

Fort lauderdale - Bermuda (about 883 nautical miles)
Bermuda - Nice (about 3372 nautical miles)

or direct:

Fort Lauderdale - Nice ( about 4237 nautical miles)

So the numbers are:

Initial investment (which I can recover at a rate of probably 90% or 85% if I decide to get rid of it).

$1,250,000.000 (after negotiating final price and registering and so forth)

Unexpected expenses:

$150,000.00

150 hours @ $3000 per hour (of course I would have to work out the ratios here given the hours used, insurance, fuel cost average and so forth but with present fuel cost it is a decent estimate I believe)

$450,000.00

My pilot's yearly salaray (he also would be doing other things)

$140,000.00

So I put upfront $1.4 million I can recover about $1 million if I sell

I spend $600,000 a year and I have the fredom to go wherever I want whenever I want.
I have also a Pilot with me that will also serve me as one of the drivers of the vehicles we will have on site (that would be the arrangement) and as the person taking care of supervising maintenance of the plane and "lodging" (or stationning) for the plane where we land.

That I think would equal to about 12 charter trips to Europe from Florida one way (I fall short in about half of what I need I believe).

Of course with this option I think I would also acquire a pile of headaches if things don't go as planned. (in which case I would proceed to immediately sell the plane).

I am dealing here with experts, so is there any other more cost efficient way to do what I am planning to do? or after all a GII SP sounds feasible?

I think the next decent plane I would consider would be in the range of a challenger 601-3A or a Falcon 50 but then the numbers go to over 6 million. And again with a differential of like 4 million it makes no sense financially.

Any thoughts or a cost study to get a better deal?

Thanks in advance...