PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Skippers (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 02:36
HEALY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The time to Command is still generally around the 12 month and maybe even less still. Interestingly when you go back maybe the last 2 years of threads sorrounding Skippers you will get the obvious impression they are on there knees and about to close the doors....but as with just about every company that gets given this tag they keep going and going. For a company that has battled to keep pilots in the breezway they aren't likely to lay any off...that would be a little premature in my opinion.

As much as the downturn is going to slow mining work down across the board in Perth you will find that have a couple of Dash 100's sitting on the ground will have less of an impact than a jet with a couple of engines at the back. I think also that they are in a fairly good spot to ride out the downturn and if you get a slot regardless you will have a good chance of progression within the company.

Yes they have employed females in the past and there is as far as I know a couple still in the company. I guess morale depends on what YOU make of it. I had a great time there and alot of my mates still there are enjoying it. Yes, people have been "done over" in the past but I am sure that happens in alot of companies (refer to Skywest thread).

The contract / bonding stuff has changed many times even when I was there so that I cannot help with to give an accurate idea however it works for some and not others. It may seem a little harsh if in your plans you are deciding to leave at the first sniff of a better job but if you are committed to putting in 2 or 3 years with the chance of early progression then it is a stable safe job. (Stable doesn't represent the roster mind you...that hasn't changed from what ive heard)

Most of this is a little bias because I really enjoyed my time there however I also respect that some people have not had the same level of job satisfaction or had a difficult departure from the company. Get the facts, read the contract and good luck