PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thorney Island Emsworth
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 20:11
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thorney

As someone who sails from very nearby, I can assert that a fair bit of parachuting took place there in the 1980's, and there is a persistent rumour of a transport - Herc ' ? - running into the Emsworth Channel and ditching in earlier times ( I've sailed there since 1974 ).

If that's true, then it must have been very fully recovered, as I've crawled all along the channel in dinghies and lift keel cruisers at low tide on countless occasions, and the only thing I haven't hit is a lump of alloy or an engine - have also photographed / observed it from the air and no sign of anything.

Has anyone heard anything about this supposed crash or is it a sailing club urban myth ?

There is a little museum just to the north of the main roundabout ( the one with the anchor & flowers ) by the fire station - also try the BlueBell, which is the local fishermens' haunt.

You could ask the Army who are there now.

Judging by the prices of the lower pub, fishermen don't do so badly after all - and further down is a fairly expensive place favovered by Navy Officers taking out crumpet, though we didn't think much of it.

As a top tip to your sister & other half, try the Museum & the Lord Raglan, not necessarily in that order.

Last edited by Double Zero; 7th Jan 2009 at 22:39.