PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Helicopter Pilots Association
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2009, 19:26
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is Union a five letter word in North America? I have been in a non union and a union company, and ,I can tell you ,that my life certainly is better in the union company. However, even when the union is on the property, the company behaves like a sore loser.Constant union busting, propoganda and efforts to undermine the contract which they signed with the union.After months of bitter negotiations, I might add.
Like everything in this world the truth is somewhere down the middle. Do unions abuse and misuse their power? Absolutely. But can they be a force for good too --definitely.
In the US,everything bad is blamed on the union. Poor management decisions lead airlines and auto companies into bankruptcy. But the situations are, nevertheless, blamed on the unions.And, as Shawn said, like ALPA, helicopter unions need to come of age to participate willingly in safety initiatives with the cordial acceptance of the company. But as long as the helicopter workforce is bitterly divided on this---that will never happen.
Rant over. Thanks for listening.
Alt3.