PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 28th Dec 2008, 02:10
DirtyB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reading comprehension is fundamental

What ARE you looking for?
What I AM looking for an answer to this question:
Does everyone that works in this industry live near the base? Considering that a lot of operators work 7/7 or 14/14 shifts is it feasible to live in your current location and then fly to and from the base?

Obviously it would be ideal to live nearby but i have more then myself to consider.

First you say you want to do the Commercial Helicopter, and when you accrued enough hours etc, etc. Then you state you've already done the instructor route and have a thousand hours
I'm considering getting my commercial helicopter license. However, one of the main sticking points for me is my inability to relocate far from my current home in Northern California.
I never said i have any hours.

Until you have a few thousand hours you will have to move where the jobs are, that's what helicopter pilots do.
Thats pretty much what I was afraid of.

Where in Nor-cal are you?
I live in San Francisco. Between ENG, tours, and police work there is a good amount of helicopter traffic. Especially when you add in Oakland and the surronding areas. However, I realize there is no way I would get any of those positions right after being a CFI.