PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT Radio Calls into CTAF - Jet* Today at Ballina
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 23:44
j3pipercub

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
mig3 (by the way, they are one of the most beautiful aircraft i have ever seen. Something about the size and shape of the wing)

If the VFR aircraft is unsure of the position, then asking will get an affirmative bearing/distance/quadrant. However I do not think that the IFR aircraft making the broadcast should have to say 'tracking for WE for the RNAV 06 Ballina, which is 15 NM to the SE of Ballina. That would be an excessively long call and then there'd be another thread on here having a whinge about RPT/IFR making calls that are too long amd cloggin up the CTAF. If the VFR aircraft in the area aren't sure where the position is, then ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do think that it is unreasonable for a Jet crew to have to give quadrant bearing distance info cos some of the singles in the area haven't made it their interest to find out about the Instrument Approaches.

Your point about the transition is an intersting one however.

Arnold E

I will answer your question with a question "Is it a good idea to arrive at an airfield that you know to be a busy uncontrolled airport with RPT and IFR aircraft without familiarising yourself BEFORE FLIGHT as to the location of the Instrument Approaches".

If you don't ask the RPT aircraft for a position if you aren't sure if you are conflicting or not then you are an amatuer and dangerous...

I wasn't suggesting that you should have your head down, I was suggesting get to know the airport, or ask if you are unsure!

The RPT aircraft do give position reports. RNAV waypoints are positions.

j3