PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR in VMC
Thread: IFR in VMC
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 22:18
cjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
43 Inches,
You seem hell-bent on showing that QF/DJ 737 pilots don't scan enough and that it can sometimes be a safety issue. Fair enough i guess but you are not supporting your argument with any logic. Just a side-swipe comment about 'red 737's' having to do go-arounds. Are you reffering to DJ and QF 737's when you say 'red 737's' or have you narrowed the focus to just QF now?
When Framer said that ATC restrictions can cause a visual approach to become unstable if continued any further he/she was quite right, and often it is the result of an ATC error not a crew error. Or just a circumstance like a busy frequency meaning further descent does not become available soon enough.
You countered the statment by saying;

"If your captain had such a efficient scan he would be aware of this and;

1. Would make ATC aware of this fact, request extra track miles, an orbit etc...

2. Not accept track shortening which leads to an unstable approach"

Most of the time what you say is carried out, no problem. What Framer means is that sometimes things just don't come together, for whatever reason, and then the correct action is to go-around.
Saying that the captains scan rate has a bearing on any of this is a long stretch of the bow. I'd go so ar as to say it's a bit silly really.
CJAM......ps, sometimes I make up my IF time which might explain why I had to go-around last week when someone decided to request an airways clearance on tower frequency with many ums and arrs to fill the pauses. If only I had scanned my way out of that one ha ha.