PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 23:21
Modern Elmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern Elmo

Over ten years ago I read that the US Navy wanted a UAV for support roles like tanking.

If you read that Aviation Week piece, it says the the Navy wants to demonstrate air to air refueling of a UCAV-- a carrier-capable UCAV and rather large, with a 62 foot wingspan. I suppose this UCAV could also function as a tanker..

Now that the carriers have no embarked tanker it must again be a priority. Why didn't the USN take the proven Hawkeye/Greyhound airframe and turn it into a tanker?

"Proven" - a euphemism for "old."

The USN has been wishing for years to get a new Common Support Aircraft to do what the Hawkeye/Greyhound and S3 Viking have been doing. I believe that this project remains just talk, at present.

What's happening de facto is that the USN is relying more and more on USAF tankers. I've been waiting to ask Royal Navy carrier enthusiasts, who's going to do their air-to-air refueling? RN F-35B's -> more RAF tankers needed.

Now there has been progress with regards to Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landings ...

I have a question about these SRVL landings: If an approach is boltered, will it be possible to roll off the deck and into the air again, or not? ( Waiting for some smartie to tell us, "Oh yeah, off the deck, into the air, and then ... )