PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IS the Big Airline Job the only option?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 09:48
pilotmike

Received 72 Likes on 21 Posts
Keith

From what I can see, you might have wrongly believed that there are two different licences, one costing €30,000 for smaller turbo-prop aircraft, and another costing €150,000 for jet airliners.

Simply, there is just 1 licence, a CPL / IR, which also requires you to hold a MCC to be of any use. There are 2 different ways of obtaining the CPL / IR, Integrated which can cost in excess of €90,000 when all costs are included, or Modular, which can be achieved for as little as €40,000.

Then the MCC can be done for as little as €1,800 or a full motion 737 sim might put the course cost up to nearer €4,000. Then you might find an employer who will pay for your Type Rating, or you might have to fund this yourself, costing another €30,000.

So you can see, the cheapest route is around €40,000, and the most expensive costs nearer to €140,000 - but they both give the same licence.

And believe me, the sums it is possible to spend is almost limitless. I know of someone who went integrated, then paid for a 737 Type Rating, and then went on to pay a further 20,000$US or more for 'line training' hours in Morocco. And as far as I know, he still hasn't found a job, even after pissing away over £150,000 chasing his dream.

However, others have managed to find gainful employment for much more modest sums. Whichever way, it is not a cheap career option, but the rewards can be worthwhile so long as you go in with your eyes open, and control your costs.

Good luck!