PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident statistics - head/neck injuries
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2008, 00:35
Freewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS,

According to the certification requirements, the Guimbal Cabri G2 has a seat designed well enough to pass the tests. Never having sat in one, I can't vouch for it's comfort. There is still footage of the tests around somewhere.

Stroking seats are a substantial improvement in many respects, but allow the torso closer to the controls and any pedestal where fitted.Whether this may bring an increase in facial/skull injuries I'm not sure, but if so, they could certainly be reduced by restraining head movement.

The EC120 seats are reasonably comfortable, but I've never spent more than around 3 hours of a day in one. Others may have more information.

The AS350 can be bought new or retrofitted with seats similar (or identical?) to the EC120 seats, but I've never sat in one which had them. I believe most of the Eurocopter range has similar seating.

Nick - the S92? Are the seats designed for crush or are the wheels expected to accomodate this movement?

The MD900 has supposedly crashworthy seats, can anybody confirm?

I suppose I need to know whether anybody has had experience of these or any other seat in preventing/reducing/exacerbating/doing absolutely nothing for a back/neck or head injury in an accident.

PM if you prefer, all responses remain confidential. The information if used will be adjusted to remove as much identifying material as possible.