PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 16:48
XV490

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RAF Bovingdon

Does anyone know of any photos of general RAF activity at Bovingdon in the 1960s? Nostalgia has hit me hard in my fifties, and I’d love some visual reminders of an airfield I often spotted at when I lived nearby as a boy between 1965 and 1967 (yes, bad timing, missing out on filming of two Mosquito movies).

For me, Bovingdon was Ansons, Devons, Pembrokes and Bassets. Okay, not as exciting as living near a fighter or bomber base, but fascinating nonetheless. During school holidays, I’d cycle up between the ATC-controlled traffic lights on the road by the south-west of the base, lean my bike against the fence and crouch down facing the main runway to enjoy the take-offs right over my head. I can still hear the skylarks during the quieter moments…

I recall some unusual visitors, including a Shackleton. In hindsight, I’ve wondered if its presence was anything to do with Coastal Command top brass at (relatively) nearby Northwood. Can anyone confirm? Then there was the occasional appearance of a Fouga Magister. I have recently read that it lodged at Bovingdon for the use of French air attachés from their London embassy. Again, can anyone confirm? I also remember the excitement one summer Saturday morning (15th July 1967) when the Reds brought their Gnats to Bovingdon for lunch prior to performing at the Elstree air show.

I always had the impression Bovingdon was a happy station, well placed to enjoy London and the local countryside. Anyone here who was stationed there in its twilight years? Perhaps you’ve got a pic or two to satisfy my nostalgia!

Thanks!

Last edited by XV490; 19th Jun 2020 at 10:04. Reason: Removal of [time limiting] '1960s' from thread title