PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a 747 Classic/Tristar with no FE
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 02:52
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Crew aircraft flown by only 2 Crew

I have read the posts on this subject posted to date. The question is really a "no-brainer". Aircraft designed to have three crew in operating crew positions may only be operated with three crew. "Can" they be flown with less than three crew? Of course they bloody well can, but not "operated". Professional F/E's, just like professional Pilots, take great pride in what they contribute to the overall operation. The aircraft designers determine how many crew are required. Certification mandates it. Most pilots with whom I flew accepted that the F/E was the "Technical expert" on the flightdeck and, as far as I'm aware, most F/E's respected that the pilots were the ones charged with flying the aircraft. That said, it was very rare in my experience for the operation to not be a real "team" effort, each with clearly defined duties and a common desire to make the operation as smooth and as least stressful as possible.

Personally, I think the removal of the F/E was more to do with what the "bean counters" believed than what the operational side of aviation thought best. I guess the Radio Operators, then the Navigators felt much as I do about being replaced by technology. It probably won't be long before the next step, i.e. just a dog and a pilot up front, is taken. Just remember, the pilot will only be there to feed the dog and the dog will only be there to bite the pilot if he goes to do the wrong thing!!

Merry Christmas all from one old F/E who can remember the "good old days"