PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 15:31
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow causing delays

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the weather is causing delays up at LBA this morning.The arrivals and departures board is full of cancelled and indefinate delay notes.

Whilst I am sure that LBA is not the only airport affected this morning by the snow,I feel so sorry for any passengers that have their travel plans wrecked by the weather.

If say I was flying to AMS then on to EWR,and the flight is cancelled do the airline make alternative arrangements or are you left to your own devices,as I have never experienced this myself.

What is it with this country that as soon as a snowflake hits the ground,everything grinds to a halt,roads,rail and air travel?.
Haven't flown from LBA for many years. Got there on Tues am about 0830. Eventually found a place in the sprawling car park. Took all the gear out of the car ( I was going to an exhibition and had additional baggage), and went to the refuge and pressed the buzzer for the bus. "We're having a few problems, and we don't know when the bus will be along".
Eventually made the 500m uphill push to the terminal only to be told at check-in that they could label the baggage but couldn't process it. They would announce later when they could accept it. No chance to go and spend some money in the terminal on food then. No explanation given, but then we all know who handles KLM don't we?
Eventually able to drop off bags, go to gate to be told after normal departure time that there is a ten-minute technical delay. No further news for 30 minutes, when the captain appears and says that he is not taking the aircraft because at least one of the tyres is suspect. Fair enough, but one of the gate staff is totally unconcerned because she's wandering around with a soft drink in her hand. After queueing up for an hour, we are given alternative flights on AF from MAN.
When I returned to LBA last night and paid my car park fee (£31), I was short-changed by £1.
If this is a typical situation at LBA then the credit crunch is going to hit it hard. Snow was forecast. LBA is the highest airport worthy of the name in Britain, so it's more used to snow than most, but seems totally incompetent at dealing with it, or its passengers.
I certainly won't be flying from there again - and yes I shall be writing to Servisair and KLM about the handling. (There were other issues which I won't bore you with).

Last edited by barry lloyd; 6th Dec 2008 at 16:06.