PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 22:25
reydelcastillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip Munk Ref # 98

Yes Sir

Let me tell you what I know and saw back then , it certainly will need more input since others have been researching and gathering more info along the years -
During the Falklands conflict I was the Radar Operator for the Army Radar , there was another Radra operated by Air Force -

The first Vulcan strike was on May 01 at about 0430 AM local time , on the radar 5 or 6 ecos were seen at 090 degrees ( due east of Stanley ) and about 70 or maybe 80 miles - I saw them coming in , at about 10 NM they go low and the first strike hits the airport - In other Forums I.ve been told that only the vulcan Strike will the other airplanes shown on the screen were countermeasures - And that only one Sea Harrier was standing about 20 NM east to cover.protect the vulcan -

I still have my doubts , I still believe the vulcan did not come by himself -

The other vulcan missions as what I remember , some how the Air Force radar let us know that we should expect a vulcan raid a few hours before it actually happen , for that matter , we several times when in doubt that the the airplane would be a vulcan , we would go into standby for several minutes and then back on line -

The vulcan mission that hit the 35 mm Sky Guard happen during the night , I remember Air Force Radra telling us , we should expect a raid , that night we had turn off the radar a few minutes before the strike , and when back on line it had already hit -

Regards Enrique

I'm sure that more input will be provided by Chary Bv / Cosmicomet 74 / Juanbalbo and others - Thank you