PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2008, 12:32
ARXW

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes regarding footage the only other mention of it is primarily in Dave Morgan's book. Two instances:
The gun camera of Flt Lt Ted Ball running into Goose Green at right angles to Gordon Batt and Nick Taylor when unfortunately with gun cam operating he recorded the fate of XZ450 Shar being hit by 35mm shells. On another occasion Morgan mentions Andy Auld (again) running into the attack with Simon Hargreaves on one of the Argentinian patrol boats at a settlement on west falkland and recording the impact of 30mm shells on the boat (and very close to the settlement in the background).

One of the astonishing events of the conflict was the guns shot of Flt Lt John Leeming on an Argentinian Navy A-4Q in which Lt Marquez unfortunately died. I don't recall where I red this or whether it was an interesting coincidence when I literally bumped into Cdr Rick Jolly one day in Foyles (bookshop) in London few years back, checking out (as I do) the falklands section when I felt a big guy rubbing against my shoulder when I turned round to see Rick Jolly. At the time I had a portuguese friend with me and Cdr Jolly thought we were argentinians. He was also checking some books out having come down to London for some commemoration day. I think it was he that told me that John Leeming had literally flown through the cloud of debris, right through the middle of it in fact and was exceptionally fortunate to survive. I think he pressed the shot down to 100yards or less when the skyhawk exploded. If Mr Jolly is reading this - my salute! He even waved his wife away in order to finish with the story!

Flt Lt Leeming was a very experienced ex Lightining pilot who at the time of the Falklkands war was flying Harriers. When the notice came up for SHAR volunteers he was an obvious choice having had both harrier VSTOL experience and air intercept experience. As Cdr Jolly explained though he was so rapidly converted to the sea harrier that in the heat of the moment he couldn't recall the correct switchology to switch to sidewinders for a shot and with a rapid overtake he proceeded to shoot guns instead.