PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 13:35
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again Edmund. I could find some aditional info about Díaz and his participation on 1 may events. According to Núñez Padín (argentinean aviation historician), he took off at 12:00 from San Julian while Ardiles made it at 15:45 from Río Grande. So aparently they weren´t in the air at the same time. Díaz overflew the islands almost the same hour that a CAP of Daggers (Bernhardt-Mir González) from Río Grande with the radio call sign "Limon" that took off at 12:30 (Río Grande was nearer the islands than San Julian). This CAP had an encounter with a Sea Harrier CAP (Barton-Ward). Ward thought they launched at him 3 missiles cause he saw 3 condensation trails. In fact they were trails from the 1300 litres external drop tanks from Bernhardt plane who was trying to go down for them when was stopped by his leader.

I´m beginning to think that perhaps Ardiles never fired a missile and it was a jettisoned external fuel tank (The central one. Daggers used to carry three 1300 litres external fuel tanks: two under wings and one under the belly). 10 miles exceeds Shaffir range and a head on launching doesn´t seem to be logical.

About 8th june downings I´ve always had a doubt. The identity of the ejected pilot (although never found). According to some sources he was 2nd Lt Alfredo Vázquez while others say he was Lt Juan José Arrarás. In fact he was the pilot downed in second hand by Morgan. I have some accounts talking about him as the pilot who ended the argentinean flight and the one didn´t bomb, aborting the final run. Other sources says he was one of the pilots who bombed but failed. The first down would be the pilot who aborted. I doný know. Any aditional info?

Regards.