PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex 834 crew - Nice work
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 11:21
muffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rex 834 crew - Nice work

A huge thumbs up to the crew of Rex 834 today for going well out of their way to help a VFR pilot avoid becoming an accident statistic. If they don't read this themselves, hopefully someone in Rex could pass it on.

When I came on to their frequency they were in the process of guiding a lost VFR aeroplane to a landing at Mudgee. They had descended to 6000ft and were visually shepherding the lost pilot who sounded very inexperienced and was concerned about his fuel status.

The Rex crew hung around to make sure no other traffic on the CTAF would be in his way and once he landed safely, they continued on their way to Dubbo.

Definitely some of the best airmanship I've ever seen - the plain english and relaxed voice of the Rex pilot would have been very comforting. Thanks to their efforts, the lost pilot will be able to look back and say I learnt about flying that day.

I presume it was a solo student. Hopefully the instructor who authorised the flight learnt about flying today too. Can't help but think the student was setup for a disaster being sent across the ranges in marginal weather that existed pretty mcuh as per the forecast, clearly without the required knowledge to make safe decisions.

Anyway, again - nice one fellas