PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2008, 19:34
MAINJAFAD

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
As I recall from my various detachments in MPA, both the Herc and VC10 Navs had topo maps of the islands that showed the known outlying aircraft wreck positions. These maps were updated (renewed) occasionally, with the details being transferred to the new map. At the end of a det the map was passed to the incoming crew. Came in very useful for a bit of aerial sightseeing, and I distinctly recall seeing an isolated Pucara wreck in the south-west of East Falkland, as well as a Dagger on West Falkland. Both airframes very faded but recognisable as their respective types.

I wonder if any of said navs could get the wreck site details off the charts, and pass to those who are interested?
Pucara wreck is that of Major Tomba shot was shot down by Lt Cdr Ward on 21st May 82 south of Goose Green. (Saw it myself in 89, that what happens when you end up on the same heilcopter as AVM Eng and Supply and your trip from one of the West Falkland radar sites to MPA turns into a battlefield tour, with a landing behind Government house at Stanley to boot, pity I had no film in the camera at the time)

The book 'Falklands, The Air War' written in 1986 has the UTM grid refs of all of the known wrecks at the time for all of the known losses including if memory serves the ones on the Jasons. Unfortunately, I lent my copy to a Falklands vet a while back, hence I can not put a list up of the known wrecks.