PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2008, 21:59
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget about simple sounding cover all solutions like dogs, falcons, guns and canons and learn the biological patterns and behaviours that produce these massive flock encounters.

Starlings, that what produce these massive flocks, its what they do, its how they live, its a species thing with them.
Sturnus Vulgaris
Habitat :
Almost Anywhere breeds very commonly in or close to cultivated country, especially near human habitation.
Very ready to live with man
Needs holes to nest in, trees,walls, roofs (under tiles)
Open Ground to feed on.
Flies in tight flocks sometimes thousands of birds in association with roosts in reeds and city centres, particularly after the breeding season.
For CIA and its immediate and general vicinity you can tick, all the above habitat boxes.

For the stuff that's on the airfield (that's where the real safety hazard is) use a little traffic control per active runway. One dedicated person for the one or two hours when the environmental combinations are right is all it should take
I think I know what you're saying, note CIA only has the one runway though approached over the city as per FR4102, or the more 'interesting' one, as I understand it, over the hill. As far as controlling Starlings its almost impossible due to their swarm/flock characteristics. If I see birds whilst an aircraft is on approach I advise the crew of them, their position and an estimate of species/flock size, the crew then has an early heads up. Not seen a Starling swarm yet, but even before this event I would have considered suggesting a go-round if a large pack of Starlings were messing about on finals.

For the stuff that's on the airfield (that's where the real safety hazard is)
I did a study a few years back, the above statement is a bit 'simplistic' no offence intended. The 'hits' for arriving aircraft were usually reported in the last mile between 300-100ft if I recall correctly, (outside aerodrome boundary), and on departure in the first 500ft, normally within the airfield boundary, both types of 'strike' regardless of runway length.

A big risk time is dusk, so check the sunrise sunset for your DEP/ARR time if the airfield brief warns of birds. Not many briefs will advise species but if one says Starlings, be on your guard. Note from this clip, (watch it until they show the ground), how the quickly the vertical dimension of the swarm changes
YouTube - Starlings Flocking